Framework: CN042 – cn042_v04
Part of series: CN042 Concept 042 – Chalkboard
The chalkboard is a perfect metaphor for bringing an audience back to the basics. Whenever you want to establish a foundational understanding from which to build higher-level thinking, the chalkboard is a good choice.
There are only PowerPoint downloads for this series. The first 7 versions are PNGs and not eligible for line and fill color changes. In PowerPoint 2007 it is possible to change the tints for PNGs, but we don't recommend this kind of color change. The reason the blackboard is effective as a metaphor is that it is easily recognized as a classroom tool. Changing the color reduces the recognition and makes the blackboard metaphor less effective – stay with the realistic colors/textures provided in the download. If you believe you need to recolor the chalkboard, use v08, which is fully editable.
- v01 is a black free-floating chalkboard, 1 page has no chalk and 1 page has chalk
- v02 is a green free-floating chalkboard, 1 page has no chalk and 1 page has chalk
- v03 is a black slanted free-floating chalkboard, 1 page has no chalk and 1 page has chalk
- v04 is a green slanted free-floating chalkboard, 1 page has no chalk and 1 page has chalk
- v05 is a black chalkboard on easel, 1 page has no chalk and 1 page has chalk
- v06 has a green chalkboard on easel, 1 page has no chalk and 1 page has chalk
- v07 is a slide that has the blackboard textures covering the entire slide
- v08 is a fully customizable blackboard, eligible for line and fill color applications.
There is also an eraser that you can download. Be sure to look at the downloadable animation example to see how you might use the eraser to get rid of an erroneous statement and replace the statement with a better one. There are two slides of possible animation schemes for you on this series.
We used a font that we purchased specifically for use with the blackboard. It is called "chalk" and it works reasonably well with the chalkboard. If you choose not to download a special font, use either a handwriting font or a font that looks like someone's printing. There should be a few choices already in your font library. Don't use your regular production font (Ariel, Tahoma, etc.) for text on the blackboard.
These downloads are larger than most, so they may take a few seconds longer to download.
For another, more exciting animation example, check out the Chart of the Month for August 2009.
Key search words: chalkboard, basics, fundamentals, foundation, elementary, classroom